- The top butterfly flight speed is 12 miles per hour. Some moths can fly 25 miles per hour!
- Monarch butterflies journey from the Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico, a distance of about 2,000 miles, and return to the north again in the spring.
- Butterflies cannot fly if their body temperature is less than 86 degrees.
- Representations of butterflies are seen in Egyptian frescoes at Thebes, which are 3,500 years old.
- Antarctica is the only continent on which no Lepidoptera have been found.
- There are about 24,000 species of butterflies. The moths are even more numerous: about 140,000 species of them were counted all over the world.
- The Brimstone butterfly (Gonepterix rhamni) has the longest lifetime of the adult butterflies: 9-10 months.
- Some Case Moth caterpillars (Psychidae) build a case around themselves that they always carry with them. It is made of silk and pieces of plants or soil.
- The caterpillars of some Snout Moths (Pyralididae) live in or on water-plants.
- The females of some moth species lack wings, all they can do to move is crawl.
- The Morgan's Sphinx Moth from Madagascar has a proboscis (tube mouth) that is 12 to 14 inches long to get the nectar from the bottom of a 12 inch deep orchid discovered by Charles Darwin.
- Some moths never eat anything as adults because they don't have mouths. They must live on the energy they stored as caterpillars.
- Many butterflies can taste with their feet to find out whether the leaf they sit on is good to lay eggs on to be their caterpillars' food or not.
17. Life cycle: From egg to adult, butterflies undergo a series of physical transformations known as metamorphosis.
- 23. Worldwide, there are over 25,000 species of butterflies.
- 24. In North America, there are over 700 species of butterflies.
- 25. In Florida, there are over 100 species of butterflies.
- 26. Antarctica is the only continent where butterflies have not been found.
- 27. After bees, butterflies are the 2nd leading pollinators.
- 28. Most butterflies usually live only 2 to 3 weeks.
- 29. The Morning Cloak may live up to 11 months and may be the longest living butterfly in North America.
- 30. Butterflies can only fly if their body temperature is over 86 degrees.
- 31. A butterfly's antennas, palps and legs have tiny receptors that are used to smell.
- 32. Butterflies can see red, green and yellow.
- 33. An abundance of butterflies indicate a healthy, well-balanced ecosystem.
- 34. The biggest threat to a butterfly is loss of habitat.
- 35. People who study butterflies are Lepidopterists.
- 36. There are 4 stages to a butterfly’s life cycle: The Egg, Larva, Pupa and Adult Butterfly.
- BONUS FACT ABOUT THE BUTTERFLY:
- Butterflies can lay between 100 to 4,000 eggs. Butterflies feed on nectar from flowers, rotting fruit, dung, pollen and tree sap among other substances that may have dissolved in water and dirt.
What You, Animal Lover, Need To Know Right Now. Book By James Dazouloute ---- Get More Info. Right Now:
DON'T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS SITE BY... EMAIL --- OR --- R.S.S FEED --- OR--- BY JOINING GOOGLE FEED ABOVE. So You Can Always Quench The Thirst That Is So Deep Inside You For Knowledge And Truth... AND SHARE THIS WITH ALL YOUR FRIENDS... DON'T BE SELFISH
ABOUT ANIMALS AND ALL THAT YOU WILL NEED TO GET TO KNOW AND CARE FOR OUR NEIGHBORS - SEE THESE ARTICLES AND VIDEOS:
21 things dogs do, 21 dogs make you laugh, Pictures of dogs being dogs
Animal friendship, Animal kingdom, What these animals can teach you, Unlikely animals who are friends
Healthy Pets, 7 Easy Tips For Dogs And Cats. By James Dazouloute
WATCH VIDEO: Why Dogs Always Win Our Heart.
Sick Dogs, How Not To Lose Your Best Friends And Suffer Greatly . By James Dazouloute
The Whales, Why Does Everyone Love Them So Much. By James Dazouloute
How ANIMALS Are Good For Your Health. By James Dazouloute
The Duck, What Do You Think You Know About This Animal. By James Dazouloute
6 Animal Pictures That Will Keep You Laughing. By James Dazouloute
Buy A Dog, Using all The Right Methods And Find Your Best Friend Fast. By James Dazouloute
WATCH VIDEO: Why Love Animals..Here Are 66 Reasons To.
Love Doves... And The Contribution Of These Beautiful Birds... By James Dazouloute
Tags: The butterfly, 36 Facts about the butterfly, Butterfly pictures